Thursday, November 24, 2005

hypnagogy, leaky boxes and general disorder

Ok, so I'm not having a good time with this blogging thing. I'm normally quite happy around technology and definitely stubborn enough to find out how to do what I need to do, but as the automated blog content management system has -- with a magnificent and quite enviable lack of explanation (obviously, it can't be asked!) -- thrown two already finished entries into the ether, I'm about to give up. And, I would have, if it wasn't for the fact that I now have become truly stubborn indeed and the fact that I had a truly fabulous day and refuse to let something as simple as binary technology get in the way.

I've been spending the morning investigating patterns with a group of primary school kids. We've been thinking about what patterns are good for and why we must know how to recognise them so we know how to break them ... if necessary! We had brilliantly serious discussions that were all very apt and useful in relation to the thoughts I'm having about categories and collections. I'm in favour of boxes that leaks, labels that fall of and get re-attached incorrectly and the space between one seemingly irrelevant thing and another. I'm curious as to what hidden concepts -- pattern of thoughts -- hide behind the eclectic displays of beautiful things we've been invited to explore? Can we blow them apart, or can we perhaps create another system that, at the very least, makes its own preference or ideology evident while exposing all those systems that don't?

This is truly an exciting project and I am so pleased to be involved. My head is spinning (+ eyes by now almost bleeding from flickering monitor). I need to relax and try to empty my head a bit. Fortunately, a conference this week on 'Dreams, Art and Literature' (Freud, there's another boxy thinker!) sanctioned the Hypnagogic State: The act of spacing out, a productive act indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

GLad you are thinking about space Marianne.
This is a BRILLIANT post.I am so glad you got it up.
I am trying to work out why I post the things I do - there is a connection between them but it is often hidden.
Often, the ideas come out of nowhere, as I am sitting on the train, like the Space Between post.
SOmetimes they come out of interaction, like the next post, which was because someone sent the photo to me and I just blogged it.
Happenstance.

1:13 AM  
Blogger marianne said...

thanks Kate,
posting is difficult: I think it's a combination between the visual linearity of the blog's set up when posting collectively (it is just not as fluid as a conversation or as rhizomatic as individual thoughts). Of course, it is also about pondering in public and the fear of being caught out on stupid thoughts. Still, think perhaps the collison of stupid thoughts are much more interesting than the ocassional meeting of clever ideas .. as is the space (or the 'non-space') where it happens.
I did read your 'space' post and will definitely try to follow up the sources and books you list. So many things to do - so little time to do them in, and now I suddenly became interested in non-space (and happenstance!) hmmm, there goes the afternoon!

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home