Friday, November 25, 2005

second Blog

The dogs now eaten two souvenier Donkeys from our only ever family holidays too Greece, I think they were covered in real animal fur, possibly cat ,so they got a more agressive savaging than the velor poney. Not even plasters and clingfilm could save these boys. I extended Davids Diagram to work out what the transition form tourist ethnographic curio to dog sick would mean in terms of the authentic and the diagram said Masterpiece.

Now as a confirmed dairy keeper I thought we could experiment with the blog to make it more interactive. I thought we could challenge everybody involved to try and think of their favourite museum artifact (David thats not an art gallery artifact - large tunnels or carpet fluff Hamsters are not acceptable)and say a few words about why.

Mine is in the Pitt Rivers ethnographic museum. It's the famous Monkeys Claw from the infamous Monkies Claw episode of "Ripping Yarns"the Michel Palin and Terry Jones 1970's collaberation. It sits downstairs in a Kensington Case just above it is a "witch in a Jar" donated in 1922 the lable states that if it is ever opened A "Whole Peck of trouble" will be released. I like the Monkies claw because it reminds me of sitting with my dad and brother watching Ripping yarns and laughing so much I was worried my dad was going to die (A man had "died of laughing"a couple of weeks earlier watching the Goodies). Virginia Wolf said that you can only really fully experience an emotion in the past so we should cherish every opportunity to revisit our pasts. If I watch Ripping Yarns now I can't see it through the eyes of a child. Basically it's a bit crap, especially the across the Andes by Frog episode. The object conects and takes me back and demonstrates that the museum collection is a growing and engaged.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I was like that about the Goodies - I used to laugh so much I used to be in a very bad state at the end of the programme I laughed so much it hurt.
I like the Victorian sugar tongs in the V and A. They had claws which were real like dragon claws.
I used to have a pair, but I gave them away to Gunther Kress.
Now I want them back.
I like the way they are fearsome (dragons) but also ultra polite (tea parties).

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home