Monday, March 13, 2006

The lobster, the paddle and dream analysis

It can surely be no coincidence that Jean-Paul Sartre had a paranoid delusion that he was being pursued by a lobster, supposedly induced by an experiment with mescaline in his youth. I know this sounds totally ridiculous but you will have to take my word that this is absolutely true.

Is Karl's surname Jung, by any chance? What might the paddle signify in Jungian terms? Tell me Steve, what do you dream about? Maybe I've got too much time on my hands, but I found something crass on Jungian analysis on the web and it had the option to 'enter a symbol!' in a box and be told the dream-significance of it. I typed in paddle and got the result 'Sorry, we don't have a meaning for that symbol.'

So, Steve, the paddle has no symbolic meaning whatsoever, or had none until you got your hands on it! If there is, as you say, a concept behind the paddle expedition ('Could you just move that paddle expedition out of the way? You're obscuring a concept.'), then surely there must be something in front of a conceptual artist that prevents you from seeing him or her. I have always found you to be visible, if sometimes a bit opaque.

Looking forward to the next stage of the journey.

1 Comments:

Blogger spodsheff said...

I don't quite understand this David I get the first bit with the Lobster and then it gets a bit blurred. All objects in museums are given symbolic meaning the paddle is not a symbol it's a thing with a history the museum use it as a symbol to represent this history. The paddle could be anything. will I be allowed to extend a museum objects narrative and what ethical/proffesional issues will this raise. I'm trying to establish boundries and question why they are there I'm not really interested in breaking or pushing them. So the point of the story and the visit and the photographs and involving Kate and Eric Knowels is to see on how many levels and areas I can create significance for a museum object beyond it's frozen Narrative - It's all about fixing things. Ring me or email me about the visable thing I havn't got a clue what this means and I find it a bit disconcerting. I'm really interested in audience at the minute - can I give them more insights into a work - hand them stuff on a plate without been litteral and crap - the stories-kates ideas on visable traces thing seems to be a way of exploring this.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home