Tuesday, February 21, 2006

White gloves and acid free

Just had really interesting meeting in Rotherham museum. The paddle tale deepens. It appears that it's original western owner was,may have, possibly , as long as it wasn't another person called Chalmers who happened to be American and not Scottish got eaten by Cannibles Hoo ray.

The strange thing about this work is that all the museum staff seem complicit yet they are held by the Dogma of proffesional practice. I'm not surprised that they question what they do and why they do it I'm just interested by the fact that they have such integrity and would never ever ever just make things up. Artists are always making things up.

The Curator of ehtnography was really good - at one point he suggested having a battle with his opposite number in Doncaster using paddles.

Francis the head of collections asked me if it mattered that the paddle had not been down the congo and was infact from New guini - I didn't really mind especially now it's owner had being eaten or as I said at the meeting "The indiginous people had "Captain Cooked" Him"

I'm sure I've seen swimming hats with wing mirrors on - or what is probably more likely I dreamt about them after banging my head swimming back stroke and decided to patent the idea then forgot about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love the earnest world of the museum curator - I think it is like the old days when academics were also supposed to rely on empirical reality for truth and not make things up in the post modern way like they do now so they can turn into artists.
Should I read Heart of Darkness or Under Western Eyes?

2:26 AM  
Blogger spodsheff said...

I woke up this morning and felt a bit un educated so I went and spent £70 on books one was called teach yourself postmodernism from the teach yourself series I like these books as they remind me of the popular educators from the turn of the century " the enquire within upon everything" series are a personal favourite. Anyway Kate what ya talking about Achademics have always made things up.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home