Wednesday, March 01, 2006

objects in parts: MDOS [e.version]


monday, visited Doncaster for the last time before we need to install some form of diagram or drawing by the end of the month! Finally, had the chance to meet Anna, the finds officer who spends her time identifying the objects brought in by amateur archaeologists and field walkers (my chosen profession had I known!). Objects that are small but obviously or seemingly tiny bits of 'something' she terms 'pArtefacts'. I really like this, it sounds like objets having a good time .. "mam, what you have found is a 'partefact'". it needs to be compared against other objects to be identified, if identification is possible at all.

With regard to sampling objects and opinions:
following the relative success of the "MDOS", we have today launched the "Most Desirable Object electronic Survey"[MDOeS]. The aim of the survey is to consider how expertise is employed an exchanged through observation of the arguments for objects' accession into a collection or their [re-]introduction into its display.

"there's a box. anything could be inside it. what do you most want it to be?" and, most importantly, "how would you argue for this object's position and status in relation to what is already there or not there?" answers on a postcard please ...

2 Comments:

Blogger spodsheff said...

When I think around ideas like this people always say yes it's a bit like Shrodingers cat. I nod and agree and go and look it up in a science book think I understand it and then forget what it means. I do the same with words like Oxy moron or post historical. Anyway I think it's a really interesting idea boxes, desire, potential - I think the thing with the cat is by opening the door you affect it's state it's the foundation of uncertainty principle.

3:14 AM  
Blogger marianne said...

in reponse: me too, I'm off to the libray and I'm nodding! (good nooding, not bad!)

+ the idea about 'desire and potential' flexing my mind for the past days just crystalised by your mention of uncertainty -- it makes sense now (and even sounds beautiful ... uncertainty, desire, potential) thanks!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home