Saturday, January 21, 2006

Stuffy Museums

I wonder if the phrase stuffy museums comes from all the stuffed animals. I'm still haunted by the idea of thousands of bird skins. Steve at Rotherham told me a story about their bird skins and their freezer going down for a week - he said they got a bit high and I don't think this means they learnt to fly again. I remember walking down a road with my heavily pregnant wife and her finding a flat dried out frog - she was in the middle of putting on an exhibition about whichcraft and needed it to make a spell - she had to order the eye of newt from a newt farm.

Rotherham is going well it feels great to feel like an artist again some how all twisted and tangled in a spiral of thoughts going around and around and around. Steve the director was talking to me about conjecture and how curators would like to be able to imagine what may have happened to an object but don't - the facts just the facts. Thinking about museums and archeology it all seems to be based on conjecture. "A tool which Could, would, may have, probably at around the turn of the century been use to skin birds which now may or may not be extinct in some parts of the world for future genertions to dispose of."

I've just read heart of Darkness as I'm roughly modeling my quest to rediscover Rotherhams ethnographic collection on Conrads tail. All journies have a starting point and I'm hoping I've found mine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michaela said...

sounds great. scary though. the heart of darkness is one of the most frightening books i've ever read - not just the subject, but the tone. wasn't english conrad's second language? like beckett writing in french. distance and objectivity (like curators not being allowed to imagine!).
i like the idea of starting with a story. just listening to the radio and someone is talking about the kind of truth communicated through stories. heart of darkness seems like a good place to start.
good luck!

6:46 AM  
Blogger spodsheff said...

originally polish -I know this as my copy of the book was my mums when she was doing her b ed in 1976 and it had some notes in the back and a brief biog. I didn't find it scarey but it did feel very modern and dense. My journey will be based on it's use in the film apocalisp now - as the original book was a metaphorical journey and I'll be using it's reinterpretation as a metaphor for my journey to leeds will it be a Meta meta meta meta phore? I'll have to ask Kate she is bound to know about such things - it would be good for us to set a date to meet and catch up Steve

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home