Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Cake Analogy

As is often the case Davids intervention on our rather gentle Blog has made me have a good think. I can take his word about Sartre and the Lobster but I'm not so sure about the Paddle not having symbolic status before I went to collect it. I suppose I may have a different understanding of symbols and Metaphors to other people. We could say that the object only has meaning within it's context but this is what I'm interested in. So perhaps I don't have a concept, more a hypothesis which I'm experimenting with. I've just looked up Concept in my trusty chambers and it says -"A thing conceived, a general notion, an idea - invention."

I'm now reading a long biography of Chalmers which Karl printed out for me from the world wide Missions website, I'm trying to track down some 1980's surveillance camera's and monitors, contacting an orphopedic trauma surgeon, Meeting the well known TV celebrity Eric Knowels at 2 pm to take some photographs with my paddle. I'm also toying with the idea of starting to make a replica paddle although Antonia Lovelace the Ethnographic curator at Leeds suggested getting someone from Papua new guinee to make it and fedex it over - am I obscuring or making a concept visible perhaps I'm struggling to find the edges of it so I can work out where the space is in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home